Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 09:34:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
New Version released
330 Posts in 106 Topics by 1366 Members
Latest Member: FanOfAsia39
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Cloakfish - high anonymous proxy forum
|-+  Offtopic
| |-+  Chat
| | |-+  Cloakfish vs other 'anonymous surf' products
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cloakfish vs other 'anonymous surf' products  (Read 10600 times)
tashz

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2009, 10:41:03 pm »

Hi,

For the inexperienced and non-technical users out here..... what is the difference in cloakfish vs other products like anonymizer or hide-my-ip?
Is Cloakfish as user friendly as those other products as far as once it's installed, all you have to do is launch it, and it hides your ip?
Also, I read somewhere that on Tor networks, there is something called an entry and exit point where people who want to find what you've can monitor those and still locate your surfing history, is that true of this as well since it is based on tor?

Thank you.
Cloakfish
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 04:12:28 am »

Hi tashz!
Welcome here on the support forum Wink

There are so many different products, I'll try to keep my answer simple and cover a few important facts for you.

Differences to common hide-my-ip tools:
Important as a starting point: all web based tools (those web-proxies you probably know) are doing a very bad job to hide an IP, you can read about their real bad security on the main page here.
There are a number of important differences, one is that Cloakfish as it is in the Tor network can provide a very high quality of IP anonymity. Unlike all other commercial tools and proxy providers I know, they do hide your IP, but they only do that against a webserver. Authorities can (often easily) find your real IP or information.

One more important thing is that almost all commercial hide-my-ip applications are well known in the web industry, expect to be banned and blocked on major websites.

Also these tools all have a very limited and rarely changing IP list, using Cloakfish you have a huge number of IPs (hundreds at any time, thousands a week).
Also related on IPs: Cloakfish has a lot of DSL and CABLE IPs in the list, sorted by city and country.
This is actually a real strength of it as you will appear as a normal internet user froma  country/city of your choice. No commercial proxy provider can do that, they all run on dedicated datacenter servers.
Of course the performance on such IPs is lower, as they ARE DSL or CABLE IPs (they have high download speed but low upload, so you are limited to the upload) but you can keep a low profile.
People even use Cloakfish for online banking, I'm not getting deeper into that now but anyone who tried this through a hide-my-ip or private/public proxy knows to value the high success rate on Cloakfish :-)

Security about exit nodes
You are right about entry and exit nodes, that's a principle of the tor network. Tor always has 3 nodes (except some special cases like directory requests or hidden services): Entry, Middle, Exit.
Cloakfish by default uses TWO nodes, Entry and Exit which increases speed a lot (together with route optimization even a lot more).
The Entry-node does not know what you are doing, and the Exit-node does not know who is requesting the data.

Of course you are right, people can listen to the data transfered on an Exit node. This is a fact that always hits you.
No matter if you use a public or private proxy, a VPN or a hide-my-ip tool. Most dangerous are public proxies, the others are all together are likely to be "sniffed" at some time.
You just read about it regarding Tor because Tor people are very much aware of dangers of the Internet but it does not mean Tor suffers more from it.
Also it is not possible to make a history of your browsing as you can switch the exit node (by changing your external IP) and the exit node does NOT know who you are, you are still anonymous.

Take this as general rule: If you transfer sensitive data then try to use HTTPS (SSL) and you are as good as safe. (if you want to make sure all is OK look at the key symbol on the lower right of your browser, it lists the domain of the SSL site and can alert you about MIM (man in the middle) attacks. In practice you are safe when you use SSL)
As soon as you use SSL your data is double encrypted (Cloakfish through Tor and once more by your browser through SSL) and only you + the webserver can read the content.

About the ease of use
Cloakfish provides a SOCKS proxy, you can tunnel as good as all applications through that but it's not automated. You can use tools (like privoxy) or just configure the application to use the socks proxy.
Usually it's just about entering an IP and a port (see the Howto page for screenshots).
Using Cloakfish itself is not hard (Get a Standardfish or higher license! (semi)Autorotation is an important feature to make handing fast and easy).
Of course there is some stuff to learn, Cloakfish can do a lot of different things like automatically change IPs, or filter the IPs for special countries, speed or sharedness.
If you know how to configure a browser and are familiar with computers you are usually ready to go within minutes, otherwise I'd guess an hour of time is required to get into proxies and browser security.
(various cookies, useragents, configurations, addons, filter options, etc)
tashz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 05:13:21 am »

Thank you for all the good information.

I don't usually do any file transferring or uploading/downloading.  I only want this for surfing anonymity.

Once I download the cloakfish, will it set itself up or is there something I have to do in order to get it set?  uh..... you lost me at configure.  Smiley
Cloakfish
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 04:21:17 am »

The easiest way to use Cloakfish is autorotation as it handles IP activation and route optimization.

So regarding that:
1. order standardfish (or higher depending on your needs) in the order page
2. download cloakfish and install it (it's a single setup exe, all is automated regarding that)
3. launch cloakfish, enter your license information and click the store button
Now Cloakfish will connect to the license server and tell you some basic information about the current license status.

1. Click on the Autorotation button in the main window
2. enable the checkbox to activate IPs automated (upper right side of the autorotation window)
3. click on the start autorotation button.
4. as soon as a few green lights are ready you can use the SOCKS proxy on host 127.0.0.1 and port 30000 in your browser configuration (see howto page for a screenshot)
5. See your new external and anonymous IP using http://proxy-check.squabbel.com

As this is the first time you will need a few minutes patience, Cloakfish will start 10 (if your PC is slow you can use light mode) threads and download routing information.
You can watch the boot status of each one on the main window status bar (0-100%)
You got a number of light bulbs on the autorotation window, all of them can be gray - blue - green
Gray means searching for route or inactivity, blue means IP found and nearly ready, green means one IP is ready for use

There are a lot of features and stuff you can use and configure once you got through the basic first steps.
If you already know how to use a typical proxy you should be ready to go within minutes.
tashz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 10:06:59 am »

That sounds pretty easy.

If you get the bigfish (or higher), does the 4-hop work all on it's own, and how do you know it hopped?

Also, I think I read that it is, but is my traffice encrypted?  And, does that mean that the sites I visit are not able to be determined by anyone (say, a network admin)?

Which package does at least 3 hops?  This helps make you more anonymous, right?

Is this app compatible with Windows Vista?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 10:14:27 am by tashz » Logged
Cloakfish
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 01:46:41 pm »

All packages support 3 hops and bigfish supports 4.
You are already very secure behind two hops and performance is best at this setting.
The routing is done automated, you can see the security level of the proxy process in the main screen as single letter.

Your traffic is strong encrypted, so no network admin has any chance to see where you go or what you do (read about DNS anonymity on the cloakfish page to prevent domain name leaking).
The weakest point regarding a network admin is your own computer which might contain spyware or similar remote admin tools/trojans to directly see what you are doing (screenshots etc).
You can try to find such tools using freeware like hijackthis and the rootkit detector from sysinternals
tashz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 03:19:07 am »

Does this work better with a particular browser vs another.. do you recommend one browser over another?  (ex.. IE vs Firefox, etc.)
If I am running a virus/anti-spyware package, would I still need to check my computer with hijackthis and rootkit detector?
Is there a way to easily see that your proxy IP is being projected/transmitted to the sites you are visiting?  (ex... Is there a button that can be added to the toolbar to show what your IP is at any given time?)
I see the list of proxies that shows 100s of IP's and proxies in the screenshots, but if I go with a standardfish license, does this mean I will only see 15?... or does that mean I can choose 15 per day from the 100s available?
Do you have any that will show that I am in... Tyler, TX - Grand Prairie, TX - and Lake Barrington, IL?
Cloakfish
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 01:05:38 am »

I can recommend Mozilla Firefox but Cloakfish works with nearly every Internet application. So any browser or tool can be used.

I'd definitly check your Computer if other people had access to it (like a network admin). It is very likely they have remote access possibilities too.

I am sure there are addons for firefox that show your current external IP but Cloakfish does currently not offer such an addon.
I'd suggest you always use our simple and fast proxy checker to see your current IP (http://proxy-check.squabbel.com)

Once you proper configured firefox and enabled the proxy you will either be cloaked behind another IP OR your connection does not work at all.
So you can be sure about being hidden. This is not true for the Internet Explorer, I have seen cases where IE would ignore the proxy setting and just go online as usual.

On Standardfish you will still see those IPs, it just means you can only select 15 IPs of your choice.

I can not guarantee you a spcial country or city at a time, the IPs are changing all the time. So one day you might have a bunch of IPs in that city of texas, another day none. The largest cities are usually always present.
tashz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 12:29:51 am »

I would like to use this on my laptop, too..... Is cloakfish compatible with Mac Safari browser?
Cloakfish
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 04:26:44 am »

as long as you run safari on windows, sure
sravan4u

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 06:33:13 am »

Hi admin,

You just mentioned about USER AGENT and ACCEPT LANGUAGE in Raw header data.

Than what about other values like

[HTTP_HOST]   
[HTTP_ACCEPT]      
[HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING]   
[HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET]   
[HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE]   
[HTTP_CONNECTION]   
[HTTP_COOKIE]   
[HTTP_CACHE_CONTROL]

Will we required to change this values also. Or else these values are same for all users.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 06:38:38 am by sravan4u » Logged
Cloakfish
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 12:08:22 am »

Hi,

The user agent is just one more identification sign of your computer/browser.
The accept language is important as you might not want to "come from china" and tell webservers you only speak "german".

Such settings are mainly important when you are connecting to a specific destination using many different "identities" / ips or if you expect a human verification or similar security checks.

Most of the values you listed are not really important (in most cases) as they are not used as identification and are very common among many browsers and computers.

best regards,
Your Cloakfish Team
jamesjohn

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 11:20:11 pm »

People who use Cloakfish won't probably go for something else.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: